It was a busy weekend around Crew Nation, here are a few things you may have missed:
- In Reserve League action, The Crew took down the New England Revoulution 1-0 on Sunday behind Bernardo Añor's 84th minute goal. Ben Speas assisted on the strike in his first action as a professional. Jairo Arrieta also made his debut in Black & Gold, starting up top with rookie Ethan Finlay.
- Olman Vargas came on in the 89th minute of Costa Rica's 2-2 draw against El Salvador on Saturday night. La Sele will play in Guyana Tuesday night before Vargas returns to Columbus in time to join the team for its trip to New England.
- Crew midfielder Chris Birchall got married over the weekend in England. Birchall is expected to return to Columbus with his new wife and three-year-old son this week.
- Robert Warzycha was in attendance for the opening match of Euro 2012 on Friday in Warsaw. He will check out the Poland and Russia match on Tuesday before heading back to Columbus on Wednesday.
- Finally, on the Crew Soccer Academy side of things, Gahanna native Wil Trapp and the United States Under-20 National Team fell to Uruguay 2-0 in Montevideo on Friday. The U-20s will play in Chile on Tuesday before heading to Northern Ireland for the 2012 Milk Cup where the team will play Denmark and Turkey on July 21 and July 23.
A pair of Crew Soccer Academy standouts have begun their summer by spending time with their respective youth national teams.
Gahanna native Wil Trapp is currently in South America with the US U-20 National Team for a trio of friendlies. The Akron midfielder assisted on Victor Pineda's strike to put the US onto the scoresheet in Tuesday's 4-2 loss against Uruguay. The US will face Uruguay again today in Montevideo before heading west to face Chile on June 12.
Benny Swanson (Grove City) recently helped the US U-15 National Team to a fifth place finish in the International Marveld Tournament in Holland. The team finished ahead of the likes of Ajax, Olympique Marseille, Liverpool, and Real Madrid academy sides in the tournament.
Wil Trapp - courtesy of TheCrew.com
Benny Swanson - courtesy of Marveld Toernooi
Crew striker Olman Vargas was called into Costa Rican national team camp on Sunday ahead of La Sele's 2012 FIFA World Cup Qualifier on June 8 against El Salvador in San José. Los Ticos will then play its second Group Stage match in Guyana on June 12.
Vargas' lone appearance for his country came in friendly against Honduras on April 11, where he scored Costa Rica's only goal in the 1-1 draw.
The striker is expected to be back and ready to go for the Black & Gold's next match when the Crew travels to New England on June 16.
Robert Warzycha gave the Crew a break on Thursday and Friday, let's take a look at how some of the players enjoyed their day off with some help from Twitter:
Center back Josh Williams took a drive up I-71 to his hometown of Copley, Ohio to enjoy some downtime:
So good to be back home!!!
— Josh Williams (@josh3williams) May 31, 2012
His partner in central defense Eric Gehrig also made a trip home to Northwest Indiana, or as the locals affectionately call it: "The Region."
Out for lunch with my familyyyyy, maybe some shopping and then hittin Chicago tonight :) #yippeee
— Eric Gehrig (@eGehrig16) May 31, 2012
The pride of New Jersey, Dilly Duka, headed home to the Garden State, but not without a trip to the Big Apple.
— Dilly Duka (@D_Duka11) May 31, 2012
With the Memorial Tournament happening this weekend in Columbus, a few members of the team decided to cheer on the likes of Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, and Rickie Fowler.
Great day and beautiful weather out at the @MemorialGolf tournament!
— Aaron Schoenfeld (@aaronschoenfeld) May 31, 2012
— Duncan Oughton (@Oughton8) May 31, 2012
In this edition of Throwback Thursday, we pay homage to the most infamous jersey in US National Team history: the denim kit. Here is Crew assistant coach Mike Lapper's head shot wearing the star-laden uniform. Lapper represented the United States in the 1994 World Cup on home soil.
FOX Sports Ohio color analyst Duncan Oughton took time before tonight's matchup against the Chicago Fire to preview the two teams.
Justin Meram talks with TheCrew.com about his recent induction into the NJCAA Hall of Fame and his golazo that is up for Goal of the Week:
Andy Gruenebaum chats with TheCrew.com following his Barbasol Man of the Match honor in San Jose:
Cody Sharrett caught up with Crew defender Josh Williams after Friday's training session in San Jose.
After spending 12 season in the league, Crew legend Frankie Hejduk couldn't narrow it down to just 11 players. So the former US Men's National Team right back picked two All-Time MLS Best XIs as part of MLS Supporters week:
Frankie Hejduk's Best XIs
|Team 1 (4-3-3)||Team 2 (4-3-3)|
After seeing both of Hejduk's teams, along with Brian Bliss, Duncan Oughton, and Williams Hesmer's picks earlier this week, it's your turn Crew fans.
Comment below with your All-Time MLS Best XIs!