Crew nab two midfielders in Supplemental
Crew selected midfielders Ben Sippola from Butler University and Andy Adlard from Indiana University in the 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft, held today via teleconference. Sippola was tabbed in the second round (No. 30 overall) and Adlard in the third (No. 48 overall).
“Both selections have the ability to add depth to our midfield,” said Crew head coach Robert Warzycha. “Sippola is more of a holding midfielder. He did well at the MLS combine, he’s aggressive and has a good shot from distance. Adlard is a good attacking midfielder who can play wide right or left or even in center midfield.”
A semifinalist for the 2010 MAC Hermann Trophy, Sippola started 55 of the 56 games he played at Butler. He had his breakthrough year in college in 2010 as he scored eight of his 13 career goals and recorded nine of his 13 assists. The 5-foot-8 native of Northfield, Minn., was also named to the 2010 NSCAA All-American First Team.
Adlard is a product of Indiana University where he saw action in 86 games, 69 of them starts, and was a teammate of Rich Balchan, the Crew’s first pick in Thursday’s 2011 MLS SuperDraft. The 5-9 attacking midfielder scored 19 goals and recorded 17 assists in his four years as a Hoosier. He was a 2010 First Team All-Big Ten honoree as well as Third Team NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region.
Ben Sippola bio
- 2010: Horizon League Player of the year, NSCAA ALL American First Team, Semi-finalist for NCAA Herman Trophy
- 2009: named to the NSCAA University Scholar All-North/Central Region Second Team
- 2007: named to the All-Tournament Team at the Dayton Tournament
- Undecided Major
- Enjoys Fly Fishing
- 2004: Minnesota State All-Tournament Team
- 2005-06 Cooley Award recipient for best all-around junior
- Region II ODP Team participant at Disney International Super Group and International Tour to Austria
- Member 2007 Costa Rica Tour with Region II
- Cascade Surge PDL Team
- Rochester Thunder PDL Team
- Bangu Tsunami SC
Andy Adlard bio
- 2010: First Team All-Big Ten honoree, Third Team NSCAA All-Great Lakes Region
- 2009: Second Team All-Big Ten selection, Named to the All-Big Ten Tournament team
- 2008: Second Team All-Big Ten honoree, Academic All-Big Ten
- Reached regionals, sectionals in triple jump
- Father, Stephen, played soccer professionally in England and coached Marquette Univ.
- Mother holds all-time women’s basketball scoring record at the University of
- General studies major
- Two-time NSCAA Youth All-America, Three-time all-state and all-area
player, Four-time all-conference selection, Named Milwaukee Journal
Sentinel Player of the Year in 2006
- Led Brookfield East High School to state runner-up finish in 2006
- Chicago Magic and Bavarians NPSL
- Was runner-up in adidas Super Group at the Disney Showcase and was leading scorer
- adidas ESP All-Star in 2005
- Member of the ODP regional team from 2002-2006
Andy Adlard scores twice against UK. Also in the highlight is #12 pick Rich Balchan with the assist.