Eastern Conference Roundup: April 29
After a week off, the Montreal Impact returned to first-place on the Eastern Conference table with a 2-0 home win against the Chicago Fire and Sporting Kansas City's loss to Portland Timbers FC. The Crew moved into fifth-place following Saturday's win over D.C. United.
Here is how the East looks after nine weeks of action.
1. Montreal Impact - 16 pts. - Week Nine: 2-0 Win vs. Chicago Fire
New signing Daniele Paponi was superb in his Impact debut, assisting on Marco Di Vaio's second-half goal. The Quebec side continues to impress this season as it sits atop the Eastern Conference table after two months of play.
2. New York Red Bulls - 14 pts. - Week Nine: 2-1 Win at Toronto FC
Playing in a deeper role due to Dax McCarty's injury, midfielder Tim Cahill came up huge with a brace for the Red Bulls against Toronto FC. Cahill and superstar forward Thierry Henry visit Crew Stadium on Saturday for a nationally televised afternoon clash on NBC Sports Network.
3. Houston Dynamo - 14 pts. - Week Nine: 1-1 Draw vs. Colorado Rapids
Giles Barnes' 66th minute goal was enough to extend the Dynamo's home-unbeaten streak to 36 matches, including playoffs. Houston travels to the Home Depot Center this weekend for an MLS Cup re-match with the LA Galaxy, but will be without Brad Davis, who was sent off in stoppage time of Sunday's match.
4. Sporting Kansas City - 14 pts. - Week Nine: 3-2 Loss vs. Portland Timbers FC
Chance Myers scored an unlikely brace, but Rodney Wallace's blast was too much for the home team as Sporting fell to Portland 3-2. Peter Vermes' side will look to rebound on Sunday as it hosts Chivas USA.
5. Columbus Crew - 12 pts. - Week Nine: 3-0 Win vs. D.C. United
Jairo Arrieta returned to the starting lineup to show just what the Crew is capable of when combining with Federico Higuaín and Dominic Oduro. The Costa Rican played a role in all three of the Black & Gold's tallies as the Crew picked up its first home win of 2013.
6. Philadelphia Union - 11 pts. - Week Nine: 2-0 Loss at New England Revolution
Jack McInerney's hot streak came to an end as the Union fell in New England. Philadelphia hosts Seattle Sounders FC at PPL Park on Saturday.
7. New England Revolution - 8 pts. - Week Nine: 2-0 Win vs. Philadelphia Union
Jay Heaps' squad responded from last week's disappointment in New York as youngster Diego Fagundez and Lee Nguyen found the back of the net in front of the home crowd at Gillette Stadium. The Revolution will be tested this week as it travels to Portland to face Timbers FC.
8. Chicago Fire - 7 pts. - Week Nine: 2-0 Loss at Montreal Impact
Chicago remains winless on the road this season as the Fire fell in Montreal over the weekend. The Men in Red return to Toyota Park to face the Philadelphia Union on Saturday before back-to-back road matches.
9. Toronto FC - 7 pts. - Week Nine: 2-1 Loss vs. New York Red Bulls
The Reds seemed headed for another draw, but Tim Cahill's 89th minute winner ruined the home team's afternoon. Toronto FC will be tested in upcoming back-to-back road matches in Colorado and San Jose.
10. D.C. United - 4 pts. - Week Nine: 3-0 Loss at Columbus Crew
United's struggles continue as the Black-and-Red lost its fifth-straight match. To make matters worse, it's undetermined how long Chris Pontius will be out after sustaining a groin injury in training last week.