Eastern Conference roundup: August 12
1. Sporting Kansas City — 39 pts. | 2-0 loss at Vancouver Whitecaps FC; Week 23: vs. Toronto FC
Sporting had a difficult time in Western Canada and now a gigantic clash against Toronto FC awaits in a match that could go a long way toward deciding MLS Cup Playoff seeding.
2. D.C. United –- 37 pts. | 3-0 loss at Real Salt Lake; Week 23: vs. Colorado Rapids
Like Sporting, the Black-and-Red went on the road to a Western Conference club in MLS Cup Playoff position and suffered defeat. Another West opponent looms this weekend in Colorado, but the Rapids are set to travel east, much to United's delight.
3. Toronto FC — 32 pts. | 3-2 win at Columbus Crew; Week 23: at Sporting Kansas City
The Reds continue to have two matches in hand over three of the other four clubs in playoff position.
4. New York Red Bulls — 28 pts. | 1-0 loss at Chicago Fire; Week 23: Bye
Poor time for a bye week, as the Red Bulls had a disappointing performance in Chicago and are now the only Eastern Conference club without a match this weekend.
5. Philadelphia Union — 27 pts. | 2-1 win vs. Montreal Impact; Week 23: at Houston Dynamo
The Union's rebound continues as it is now in MLS Cup Playoff position. The good times for Philadelphia are also continuing: the club can advance to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final with a win tonight at FC Dallas.
6. Columbus Crew — 27 pts. | 3-2 loss vs. Toronto FC; Week 23: vs. LA Galaxy
The Crew's three-match homestand continues with a date against LA Galaxy in what is the Western club's first road match since Landon Donovan announced his retirement effective at the end of the season.
7. New England Revolution — 26 pts. | Bye: Week 23: vs. Portland Timbers FC
After a bye week to recharge, New England is looking for a big result in what is becoming a jumbled picture near the Eastern Conference MLS Cup Playoff bubble.
8. Chicago Fire — 25 pts. | 1-0 win vs. New York Red Bulls; Week 23: at Montreal Impact
Like Philadelphia, Chicago can also advance to the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup final with a victory in Seattle on Wednesday night.
9. Houston Dynamo — 22 pts. | 2-0 loss at Seattle Sounders FC; Week 23: vs. Philadelphia Union
Houston hosts the Union just three nights after Philadelphia plays at Dallas in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup semifinal. While the travel is short, the Union's quick turnaround in the heat could create an advantage for the Dynamo.
10. Montreal Impact —14 pts. | 2-1 loss at Philadelphia Union; Week 23: vs. Chicago Fire
Montreal's losing streak is up to seven matches following the weekend defeat at Philadelphia.